Cybersecurity Awareness Squad
What is the Cyber Security Awareness Squad?
The Cyber Squad is a committee within the InfoSec club that engages in cybersecurity outreach education by visiting a variety of different communities such as elementary schools, high schools, young adults, employees, and senior citizens.
The Cyber Squad Mission Statement:
To raise awareness regarding the importance of cyber security and encourage good hygiene to members of our surrounding community.
Through various outreach events, the Squad educates attendees on the following principles:
- Keep Private Information PRIVATE
- Think before you click
- Look for the S in HTTPS
- Update software regularly
- Be cautious with email
- Change passwords regularly
- Create complex passwords
- Be cautious with free wifi
- Log out of all accounts
- Spread awareness to others
- Spring 2016 - Raised awareness to nearly 500 individuals
- June 2016 - Trained 250 Girl Scouts on the importance of cyber hygiene through role playing
- Fall 2016 - Initiated a campus-wide social media campaign during Cyber Security Awareness Month
October: National Cyber Security Awareness Month
In 2004, President Obama designated October as National Cyber Security Awareness Month, which is “designed to engage and educate public and private sector partners through events and initiatives with the goal of raising awareness about cybersecurity and increasing the resiliency of the nation in the event of a cyber incident”.
Our club participates as a friend of the Department of Homeland Security's Stop.Think.Connect campaign by hosting campus events throughout the month of October. This year our events for campus students include:
- Conducting Cyber Hygiene quizzes to test IQ
- Performing social engineering exploits
- Allowing students to fly drones
- Preparing a Hacker's Haunted House
Benefits as a squad member:
- Strengthen your public speaking/presentation skills
- Gain experience leading projects and events
- Participate in community service
- Networking opportunities with university officials
- Improve your own cyber security hygiene!
- Opportunities to grow and gain hands-on experience in your areas of interest
For more information or to sign up please contact us!